Skip to main content

Go Mama Go

So back from walking around DC a little bit and thought I would tell you about this little store we visited along the way.

Go Mama Go.

It is actually quite a big shop and it is full of housing stuff. Giving you everything from plates and glasses to tea services; photos to note cards. Anything you can think of in a gift shop type of store you can find.

It wasn't so much the store that impressed me, even though it had alot of nice stuff, but it was the owner who I heard about that really had me thinking.

Noi Chudnoff, a very sweet Thailand-born woman, is owner along with her husband. I did not meet him because he was not in the store at the time.

What impressed me so much, aside from her serious business sense; you could feel it coming from her, was her commitment to the GLBT community. She has floats and does the DC Pride each year and is a very big supporter both emotionally and financially to the DC GLBT groups.

From what I understand it was her knowledge of the persecution of the GLBT community in her native country that opened her eyes and her heart.

I think I am writing this because this is someone outside of the community who has made it her own. I think it would be nice if we did that for ourselves without needing a pat on the back or some awards/building named after us.

We should be more like her; do what you do and if people want to tell others about you then fine, but no need to toot your own horn.

Check out the store.

Go Mama Go
1809 14th Street, NW
202.299.0850

Comments

Anonymous said…
Noi was my friend. We met in Oregon while I was selling products to newcomers. We had Thai cooking classes in her humble home and went canoing on the Williamson River for crawdads. We shared good cups of coffee and pastry together and vegetables and fruits from our gardens. She had an incredible sense of style. I am saddened greatly by her sudden death. She touched many people with her kindnesses and her wit. We loved her very much. We will miss her very much. Please continue to support her causes and her store. We were among her family of friends. Noi passed away on 11-6-07-- this entry made in her memory.

Popular posts from this blog

Just had to be noted.

So if you were in NYC for the last 2 days you may have seen the news about the Eastside madam who was arrested Monday or Tuesday. Funny thing is they arrested her at her apartment which happens to be across the street from me.(#2 in picture above). Now if you remember from a few weeks ago Governor Spitzer resigned his office and that is also just caddy corner to my building over on 3rd avenue.(#1 in picture above). There is word that this Madam had the black book that had the former Gov. and many others in it. She says she doesn't. I guess we will find out. Funny to to me though that in the picture above he basically could have walked over with a nice appointment after he resigned just a half a block away. PS: Was in a hurry to post so don't yell at me for the crude numbers on the pictures. Haha.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah......

We were standing at that sign for a few minutes trying to figure out how to say it and then why someone would make the obvious mistake and not fix it eventually. This shot was on the way to my friend Everett's bday party out in Astoria. It was a train ride and a bit of a walk and no friends showed up, I would have killed them but we had a good time anyway. I went out with my friend Steve and we met up with Jorge and his hubby Steve. I wrote about the event a bit ago. These are the Hell Gate Social pics.