Skip to main content

Worst First Day Ever


So this weekend I was asked, last minute(like Friday afternoon), if I could play in a volleyball tournament in Pittsburgh. This weekend. Leaving at 5pm on Friday.
But everyone knows I am a volleyball whore so I said yes, with some reservations and off I went to join the rest of the team to drive from NYC to Pittsburgh on a Friday afternoon, really early evening, during rush hour in a minivan with 5 others from the team.

We arrived in Pittsburgh and checked into the hotel around 1:30 or so and got ourselves ready for Saturday morning.

The venue. Saturday. Nice courts, nice people, friendly new and familiar faces from other cities and tournaments.

We referree the first match and then we had an off match before we played our first.

We are playing another NYC team our first match. People we know.
We are halfway through and things are not going well; but things are not out of control either.

That is when it happens. Someone comes under the net trying to hit a really bad set and down goes my opposite player, my fellow middle, Adrian. In pain. Holding his ankle. His ankle actually turned rather strangly away from his body. Everyone one is screaming it is broken, I say shut up.

About 20 minutes later an ambulance comes takes him away and we don't see him until the end of our day.

Everyone is now out eating and I am back at the hotel with Adrian waiting for the rest of our group to bring us our dinner when they are done eating out and also to bring him his pain medication.

We finished the day 4-4. Broke even luckily even though we lost our other middle and the day was never going correctly for us. Luckily we hit some teams harder than they hit us and pulled out two wins inback to back matches. Oh yeah, matches are 2 games, just for those not familiar with our pool play system.

Back to the gym tomorrow for elimination matches.

I am going to sleep, I think I maybe broke a finger or maybe really, really bruised a joint. It hurts so much but I am in no place to bitch right now.

Talk to you when I get back to NYC.

Live everyday to the fullest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just had to be noted.

So if you were in NYC for the last 2 days you may have seen the news about the Eastside madam who was arrested Monday or Tuesday. Funny thing is they arrested her at her apartment which happens to be across the street from me.(#2 in picture above). Now if you remember from a few weeks ago Governor Spitzer resigned his office and that is also just caddy corner to my building over on 3rd avenue.(#1 in picture above). There is word that this Madam had the black book that had the former Gov. and many others in it. She says she doesn't. I guess we will find out. Funny to to me though that in the picture above he basically could have walked over with a nice appointment after he resigned just a half a block away. PS: Was in a hurry to post so don't yell at me for the crude numbers on the pictures. Haha.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah......

We were standing at that sign for a few minutes trying to figure out how to say it and then why someone would make the obvious mistake and not fix it eventually. This shot was on the way to my friend Everett's bday party out in Astoria. It was a train ride and a bit of a walk and no friends showed up, I would have killed them but we had a good time anyway. I went out with my friend Steve and we met up with Jorge and his hubby Steve. I wrote about the event a bit ago. These are the Hell Gate Social pics.