Skip to main content

Long Time Coming

This article, Repairing Senate's Record on Lynching: 'Long Overdue' Apology Would Be Congress's First for Treatment of Blacks was sent to me today by my ex.

Really makes you think about the past and still the present in a multitude of places here and abroad.

Today we have bias crimes that are tough to prove, mostly bias crimes toward the Arab community and, of course, the gay community which has gone on as long, if not longer than slavery in the US.

To think what it would have been like to be stuck in the middle.

What I would have done 50 or 60 years ago? Gay and black in a time when both things were looked down upon if not scary to be.

Here are a couple of things to check out on the web that will give you something to think about. Some are books, some are sites, some are tv documentaries.

Oh, forget it. I grew tired of trying to write this post weeks ago and possibly I will really dig into it again when I see if this whole “Apology” thing the government is doing really works.

What will the town of Philadelphia, Mississippi tell us in the next week or two? Have things changed or is it all just really a way to satisfy people?

Will putting 85 year old men on trial for lynchings 50 years ago change things? As it is they are being hauled off to the hospital daily during trials because they can't breathe or their heart medication was left at home or damn, they might just be at deaths door.

Will life in prison, starting at 85 or 86, really scare people who have been running free for 50-60 years? I think not. I can accept the apology from the state. If I was a family member of a slain person, back in the day, I think what I would want now is an apology and confession. Set the record straight and be a man and admit what you didn't have the balls to do back then.

If you were so proud of what you did, why the need to hide and lie about it? I do believe that makes you a hypocrite.

Well, wow, seems like I still did have things to say on this subject. Just as I have been lately I am starting out slow and then I get on a slight roll and just keep going.

This did get away from the gay-racial bias angle I started with but take it for what it is. I ramble. I mumble. I have things to say. Hell, I only know of one person who really reads this because no one else ever leaves comments or opinions.

Here are those links I had previously mentioned:

"American Experience: The Murder of Emmett Till"
(PBS)
“Battered city dissects Killen, the past” - Clarion Ledger
Panel: Race relations still social concernSun Herald
Becoming a Man: Half a Life StoryPaul Monette

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am still having a hard time dealing with the so called 'justice' that was given for Emmett Till's death. I cannot agree with the rest of society by stating that justice was served. After 50 years, this man is just now going to jail for a crime he admitted to doing? The fact remains that he still got to enjoy his life, see his children and grandchildren grow, to sh-- and fart in the privacy of his own home. For 50 years, he came and did as he pleased. Where is the F@*%ing justice in that? At 86 years of age, what are we taking away from him? Does he even know where he will be (isn't his cell the same size as his closet at home)? How much longer does he even have to live...2-5 years at the most. When did Emmett ever have a chance to do ANY of these things? At 15 years old, still a babe himself, had he even experienced his first (boy) dream? We are just receiving an apology from our Senate for permitting the Lynching of Afro-Americans in lieu of the the courts decision concerning this particular case. To me, they are just in it for the ride. The fashion Trend of the moment. Had the case turned on it's side, would they have made the change? What happens tomorrow, when the dust clears and the rest of society has forgotten this story; their biggest concern for the day is tie to wear with the blue slacks. I, on the other hand, do not want to ever forget how 'you' see me and others of my race. I do not want to shy away from the discussions at church, at work, in my community; even though I live in the city of brotherly love an dhave never experienced this level of disrespect. I do not want to forget that I will always been seen as and expected to come in second because I really am first. I will not forget that jealousy and envy are powerful emotions, and when are allowed to control the mind and heart, give way to actions such as this.

Kim

Popular posts from this blog

Just had to be noted.

So if you were in NYC for the last 2 days you may have seen the news about the Eastside madam who was arrested Monday or Tuesday. Funny thing is they arrested her at her apartment which happens to be across the street from me.(#2 in picture above). Now if you remember from a few weeks ago Governor Spitzer resigned his office and that is also just caddy corner to my building over on 3rd avenue.(#1 in picture above). There is word that this Madam had the black book that had the former Gov. and many others in it. She says she doesn't. I guess we will find out. Funny to to me though that in the picture above he basically could have walked over with a nice appointment after he resigned just a half a block away. PS: Was in a hurry to post so don't yell at me for the crude numbers on the pictures. Haha.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah......

We were standing at that sign for a few minutes trying to figure out how to say it and then why someone would make the obvious mistake and not fix it eventually. This shot was on the way to my friend Everett's bday party out in Astoria. It was a train ride and a bit of a walk and no friends showed up, I would have killed them but we had a good time anyway. I went out with my friend Steve and we met up with Jorge and his hubby Steve. I wrote about the event a bit ago. These are the Hell Gate Social pics.