Skip to main content

World AIDS Day 2007

Strange to have a day when we try to celebrate the knowledge and medical advances on something but not be able to say "Happy" before it.

Happy World AIDS Day? Seems backwards to me, I guess that is why we don't say it.

Seems like if anything we just have this day as a big media event so people can pat themselves on the back and still turn a blind eye. That goes for the everyday person who has become complacent with what they do in and out of the bedroom.

As someone who was in grammar school when AIDS came to be; it was always at the forefront of what I heard and that was "Protect Yourself, Stay Safe".

I have lived by that for the past 25years or so. Okay, so really only for the past 19 years. I was not having any kind of relations before then but it was always in my head and yes fear made me protect myself.

Times like this I think fear is a good thing. Fear of losing your life. Fear of relying on a mix of drugs to give you a life which you really don't want.

I know that today these drugs are amazing but you are chained to timed pill taking, trials of drugs, side effects and always the fear that some little bug could come and knock you on your ass for no reason.

I am afraid and I am not afraid to say it.

I am afraid that AIDS is not considered a deadly virus anymore. It is.
I am afraid that people don't care anymore; just read about the whole crystal meth campaign.
I am afraid of how the country has become complacent with dealing with protecting themselves.
I am afraid that with these drugs people do not stand up and fight as much as they used to because it is not so easily detected. Seems that know if you seem healthy why fight and let people know.



But I do know that I control my life and what happens to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just had to be noted.

So if you were in NYC for the last 2 days you may have seen the news about the Eastside madam who was arrested Monday or Tuesday. Funny thing is they arrested her at her apartment which happens to be across the street from me.(#2 in picture above). Now if you remember from a few weeks ago Governor Spitzer resigned his office and that is also just caddy corner to my building over on 3rd avenue.(#1 in picture above). There is word that this Madam had the black book that had the former Gov. and many others in it. She says she doesn't. I guess we will find out. Funny to to me though that in the picture above he basically could have walked over with a nice appointment after he resigned just a half a block away. PS: Was in a hurry to post so don't yell at me for the crude numbers on the pictures. Haha.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah......

We were standing at that sign for a few minutes trying to figure out how to say it and then why someone would make the obvious mistake and not fix it eventually. This shot was on the way to my friend Everett's bday party out in Astoria. It was a train ride and a bit of a walk and no friends showed up, I would have killed them but we had a good time anyway. I went out with my friend Steve and we met up with Jorge and his hubby Steve. I wrote about the event a bit ago. These are the Hell Gate Social pics.